1930s to the post-war years
The International was succeeded by the Le Mans model, which in turn gave way to the Ulster. Then in 1936, it was decided to focus on a touring car, with the appearance of the 2.0 litre engine for the 15/98.
Early in 1939, a prototype was built using independent front suspension and a Cotal electric gearbox, packaged in an early form of space frame. Known as the Atom, it ran throughout World War Two and although it never went into production, it formed the basis of the first generation of post-war Aston Martins.
The next significant chapter in the Aston Martin story came in 1947, when David Brown bought the Feltham company - and the DB era dawned. Brown had a passion for high performance cars and wanted his new marque to win worldwide recognition.
In 1948 the 2.0 Litre Sports entered production and won that year's 24 hours sports car race at Spa.
In April 1950 the 2.6 litre DB2 was announced. It took equal first in the Index of Performance at that year's Le Mans - and won the 3.0 litre class.
Both Aston Martin and Lagonda cars were now built at Hanworth Park in Feltham, with engines, chassis and running gear assembled at David Brown's factory at Farsley in Yorkshire. Then in 1954, Brown bought Tickford Motor Bodies in Newport Pagnell - where the offices and production facilities for the V12 Vanquish are now located. Established in 1820, the site had originally been occupied by Salmons & Sons, 'Coachbuilders to the Nobility', but by 1957 it was truly home to Aston Martin and Lagonda. Most components - including engines - were manufactured and assembled there.